Saturday, September 15, 2012

Carrot Date Muffins

These were supposed to be Carrot Ginger Date Muffins, but I didn't add enough ginger. Still delicious though! They're not a muffin texture like a normal, gluten filled muffin. They're dense, and sweet from the dates, and moist. Cupcake absolutely adores them, and she's gotten very picky.


Carrot Date Muffins

Dry
2c Gluten Free Flour  (I used 2/3c coconut flour, 1c tapioca flour, 1/3c+3T buckwheat flour)
1/3c flax seed, ground
2.5t baking powder
1t salt
2t cinnamon
1T ginger (I didn't use this much, I think I only put about a teaspoon in, but I really couldn't taste it at all)

Wet
2/3c coconut oil, melted
1/3c honey
1t vanilla extract
1-2 cups milk (I used closer to 2 cups of vanilla coconut milk since coconut flour absorbs so much. Make sure your milk is at least room temp or a little warm or else the coconut oil will get hard and be impossible to mix.)

Other
8 medjool dates, chopped.
3 medium-large organic carrots, finely grated.
1/3-1/2c hemp hearts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Measure and mix together flours, making sure there are no chunks or lumps(sift if you have a sifter). Ass the rest of the dry ingredients and combine well. Mix the coconut oil and honey and add to the dry ingredients. Mix a little then start adding your warm/room temp milk. Keep adding milk until you have a muffin batter consistency.

Fold in the carrots and dates. Fill muffin tin 2/3 of the way full. I used papers, you probably don't have to. Since I only have one muffin pan, and I'm impatient, I made 12 muffins and a 9x5in pan that I then cut into bars. Muffins bake for 20-30 minutes, and the bars went 40 minutes I think. They were a little under done but still delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment